AUTHOR: Knitti-me TITLE: DATE: 5:57:00 PM ----- BODY:
Another weekend has come and gone, and what have I accomplished, you may ask? I actually started and finished a hat and scarf set! As I mentioned in my last entry, my daughter was expecting a crocheted head kerchief and lip balm holder for her girlfriend's birthday present. Well, she got a present only it was a winter hat and scarf set! Tacky you may say? This friend has been receiving handmade birthday gifts from our family for many years. Her birthday is in June, so she always got "summery" items - not this year. Besides, she has always admired my daughter's winter hat and scarf sets. Do you really want to know the real reason this hat/scarf set came into being? I received a package of yarn ordered on-line and inside was four skeins of some absolutely fabulous Viva yarn by Tahki. I had to start knitting with it right away - bulky yarn, large needles - I was in heaven. Need I mention the instant gratification of having a finished piece of knitwear by the end of the evening? As I was knitting along on the scarf, I decided to make it into a "buttonhole" scarf. And I must say it looks fantastic. My badcat crafting buddy at work was impressed and she had to write down the dimensions and pattern before I could even get to my desk and check my email! Because a "buttonhole" scarf is usually not as long as a conventional scarf, I had 1 1/2 skeins of yarn left for a hat. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough yarn to decrease properly, so the hat turned out a bit short (so I blocked it to size). Lesson learned - knit the hat first and use the rest for the scarf. I was also able to weave in the ends on a Wigwam (Colinette) accessory scarf I made a couple months ago. Originally I was going to put on a beaded fring (and this may still happen), but I wanted to wear it without for a bit to see if I like it as is. I also put several more inches on my Sprout project. Until next time...
--------