AUTHOR: Knitti-me TITLE: DATE: 5:28:00 PM ----- BODY:
My husband, friend Dan, and neighbor Peter were able to do a fantastic job of roto-tiling and grading our front lawn area. Now it's all primed and ready for sprinkler system trench digging next weekend and hopefully sod installation. Good job guys! We spent a quiet Father's Day. My husband requested we go to a restaurant that served meat and potatoes (good Anglo-New Zealand fare). We then went across the street and hung out in Borders books for awhile. I, of course, headed right to the Hobby section to check out the plethora of knitting books, while son went to the video game strategy guide section, daughter to the Harry Potter section and husband to home improvement. I always get a bit reflective on Father's Day because I miss my Dad. He passed away just over eight years ago from Cancer. He was quite a man and taught me so much about living and dying. I was his "late-in-life" child and we had a very special bond that my siblings never had. He was a merchant seaman (chief engineer) and had gone to sea for 40 years. Dad had been on every continent by the time he was 25 and had gone through the Panama Canal over 50 times. He fought along side the armed forces in World War II and the Korean War (in war time, the merchant seaman are an extention of the armed services), even losing a ship to a Japanese bomb. He was the kind of man who would read War and Peace because he wanted to. He loved history and he and I would find ourselves tramping all over European battle fields and spending hours in museums. He was of a generation where their word was their bond and a handshake meant more than a 50 page contract. He taught me about honesty, integrity and loyalty. Dad, all I can say is that I hope I have instilled those same values in my children and have passed on your legacy. In knitting news, I finished the back on Sprout, but I am not happy with the neckline. I'm going to rip it back and try the neck shaping again but binding off a little more tightly and extending the shoulders (as it is, it would be falling off my shoulders and showing my bra straps constantly). I am also attempting matching vests for my friend's baby girls. No raglans, actually no sleeves to speak of, perhaps this time will be the charm. I'm about halfway through the back on the first vest. I am using some woolie hand-dyed varigated yarn in pretty pastels. Until next time...
--------