AUTHOR: Knitti-me TITLE: DATE: 6:27:00 PM ----- BODY:
All in all I had a very wonderful weekend. Saturday morning and early afternoon, was spent exploring the Dixon Lambtown Festival. My husband used to be in the craft fair business (he built and sold wooden toys at craft shows), so while he was off catching up with his old crafting buddies, I wandered through the exhibit hall luxuriating in all the fantastic fibers. I had a good time talking with different artisans about their craft. I was especially drawn to the spinning and weaving; however, I came to the conclusion that I couldn’t afford a new obsession at the moment. My daughter was intrigued by the Kool Aid dyeing, so we may try our hand at that in the near future. I think she would enjoy creating her own colorways. Now if I could just teach her to knit... Every year my brother transforms his church’s multi-purpose room into a circa 1940's big band club. My brother is a stickler for authenticity so it was quite the time warp walking into the “club”; from sequins and feather boas, red lipstick and false eyelashes to tuxedos, bow ties, potted palms and candle lighted tables. The Sentimentals, my brother’s Tommy Dorsey-esque band, played such favorites as Sentimental Journey, In the Mood, Moonlight Serenade, and Sing, Sing, Sing. My nieces, Christine and Margaret were the highlighted soloists. Christine (age 33) actually sings professionally, primarily with John Tesh, and her sister Margaret (age 16) is quickly following in her footsteps. Of course the night would not be complete without my sister-in-law, Calla, sneaking into the trombone section - a la Lucy Ricardo fake beard and all - trying to steal the spotlight. “Ricky, I want to be in the show!!!” It was a fabulous night full of great music, good food and plenty of nostalgia. In knitting news I did not get the ChicKami done. So I put it aside for the weekend and worked on my Sunset Tote. Traveling back and forth between the Lambtown festival and my brother’s home I was able to make a lot of progress. The tote should be ready for felting by this coming weekend (woo hoo!). Even though it is still stinking hot out, the summer past the halfway mark (although is does stay warm usually through mid to late October here in Sacramento), I am beginning to set my sights on fall and winter knitting. What is also adding to my anticipation is going through and organizing my stash. I have been coming across a lot of wonderful wool and wool blends and I am anxious to begin mixing and matching yarns for throws, hat/scarf combos, shawls, etc. Oh to have six pairs of hands...
--------