AUTHOR: Knitti-me TITLE: DATE: 9:35:00 AM ----- BODY:
I have always been a huge fan of vintage TV. The Andy Griffith Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy, and of course, The Twilight Zone were all favorites of mine. But I must admit that one of my all-time favorites was Perry Mason. From the fabulous theme music to wondering if Della and Perry ever got it on, this series was always a winner with me. I found the following synopsis from this Perry Mason website pretty much sums up the series, which ran nearly 10 years. "Perry Mason was created by author Erle Stanley Gardner in the 1930's. In 1957 Perry Mason was brought to television on CBS...There were 271 episodes in all running from 1957-1966. All but one episode was in black and white. The first few minutes of the show are used to introduce the characters and for the murder to take place. Next, Perry would end up defending whom ever was charged with the murder. He would get Paul Drake (his P.I.) in on the case to help him find the real murderer. Then the show would move to the courtroom, usually with Hamilton Burger as the D.A. In the court room Perry got most confessions, usually right on the witness stand. For the final scene Perry, Della and Paul would usually gather in Perry's office or a restaurant and explain how they figured it out, and end with some kind of joke." In my late teens I had a dream of starting up a themed restaurant called The Della Street Cafe where "Justice Desserts" would be served. Of course the menu would include "The Hamilton Burger" and "Della Sandwiches" and the "Paul-etto" and Drake-ona" Cocktails would be a specialty. Of course, any meal would be incomplete without the "Erle Stanley Gardner Salad." CONTEST! Help me develop more menu items by utilizing characters, locations, situations, etc. found in the original TV series. The winner will receive yarn from my embarrassingly large stash. Main characters included: Perry Mason, Della Street, Paul Drake, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Burger. Also, feel free to click around the various websites dedicated to the Perry Mason TV series. Email me with your submissions by July 15th. The winner will be announced on July 16th. You gotta love them!
--------