AUTHOR: Knitti-me TITLE: My New Toy! DATE: 12:28:00 PM ----- BODY:
When Husband and I attended the Lambtown Festival in July, I picked up this nifty bead spinner. The bead spinner comes in two pieces...

...and then nestles with one rod inside the other for smooth spinning. The bowl and pedestal are both hand turned wood on a lathe~very beautiful. You put your selection of beads in the bowl.

The bead spinner comes with this specialty needle. Unfortunately, the eye of the needle isn't very big, so I can't use any thread or fiber bigger than fine nylon. I've experimented with different needles bought at craft stores (quilting needles, etc.), but haven't had much success. However, using the needle provided with the proper sized beads, it works like a charm. The bead spinner works on the principle of centrifugal force (n : the outward force on a body moving in a curved path around another body). One hand is used to spin the bowl, while the other holds the needle, gently skimming the surface of the beads. The centrifugal force causes the beads to build up on the needle. After several minutes, you have a beautiful string of truly random beadage. Now what would I do with a long string of beads? I tried knitting and crocheting using the string of beads as a carry-a-long with not much luck (I'll need to think on this a bit more). After an afternoon of trying different techniques. It finally came down to crocheting and quick pouch and applying a portion of the string of beads in a random design on the flap. It turned out pretty nice I think. If you are interested in ordering one of these bead spinners, drop me an email (marieedmondson AT yahoo DOT com) and I'll give you the contact information.
--------