AUTHOR: Knitti-me TITLE: Secret Pal 7 DATE: 1:06:00 PM ----- BODY:
Yes, I did it again! I signed up for Secret Pal 7. I was an avid participant in the first three SP rounds, but took a break. Now I'm ready to jump in again and spoil some unsuspecting knit blogger. And here, once again, is the SP Questionnaire: 1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Yes, Dahling, I tend to be trés snobby when it comes to yarn. Of course one always has skelletons in one’s closet and you may find a ball of LB Homespun or Fun Fur lurking there. Red Heart? Avoid it like the plague (we won't mention the poncho I knit from Red Heart a year or so ago...). 2. Do you spin? No. Crochet? Yes. I use crochet for finishing many of my knitted items. I also love to crochet my cell phone cozies and purses. However, I normally do not crochet large projects such as sweaters or throws. 3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? My straight needles are in an old (antique) metal coffee pot. It's supposed to be decorative. Crochet hooks and other miscellaneous tools are in my zippered tool kit - it's actually pretty cool. I picked it up at Wal*Mart for $3 - I believe it was marketed as a cosmetic case. I'll have to take pics and post about it some time. My circulars are in a plastic see-through storage bin. 4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I have been seriously knitting for about three years. I would consider myself a solid intermediate knitter. 5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? No, but this may encourage me to set one up. 6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I love Partylite candles. Some of my favorite scents are Honeydew, Pear, Cinnamon, Vanilla and Almond. Citrus flavors are nice too. I don't care for really flowery scents. 7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Not a huge chocolate fan, but I like a nice truffle occassionally or chocolate dipped strawberries. I like JellyBellys and Hot Tamales. Ice cream is always a favorite and berry pie ala mode. 8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Big time beading (jewelry making). I want to combine beads and knitting/crocheting more. I've done scrapbooking in the past too. I also collect 1930's Metlox Pottery (similar to Fiesta Ware). I'm slowly working on home improvement projects and decorating (as money allows). 9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I'll give nearly any music a listen. Have trouble with Country and Rap though. I like all kinds from Classical (not the intense stuff) to Gershwin. I love classic jazz vocals like Ella Fitzgerald , and instrumental jazz- not "smooth" jazz (it puts me asleep), but not the intense "progressive" jazz either. I like alternative rock and the Blues baby. I'm a child of the 70's and 80's so classics from both those eras are enjoyed too. 10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? I love autumnal colors - reds, browns, burgundies, oranges, greens - deep and rich. Oh, and I like purple - jewel tones. 11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? One husband of 20 years; two kids - boy 15, girl nearly 14; One dog (Ally), two cats (Tasha and Oliver), one rabbit (Molly). 12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? I wear scarves a lot, especially in fall/winter. However, they are more of an accessory as it doesn't get below freezing very often (50's/60's during the day and 30'2/40's overnight). So gloves/mittens not so much - besides, my fingers are so stubby, it's hard for me to find gloves that fit. I occassionally wear a poncho I knit last year. I wear shawls sometimes too. 13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Noro is at the top of my list - love Silk Garden and Kureyon (although Kureyon tends to be fragile). Total Colinette junkie - any of their yarns are just yummy. I also love hand-dyed yarns, such as Danette Taylor and Over the Rainbow of eBay fame. Generally, soft wool or wool blends (not the scratchy stuff). 14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I'll give any yarn a try, but I tend to not enjoy knitting with cottons as much as wools. 15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Nothing at the moment. My crafting set up at home is not really condusive to creativity at the moment; however, I think this year will be the year of the throw - I'll be stash busting big time to make room for more yarn, of course. 16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I enjoy the process of knitting sweaters/cardi's, but I have one success for every three or four tried. I'll knit scarves ad nauseam - knit with really fabulous yarns that is. I'd like to knit more hats and purses (felted) and combine beading with knitting/crocheting. 17. What are you knitting right now? I'm working on a hat/scarf set for myself from some great hand-dyed yarn just purchased on my trip to So. Cal. I have to finish my cropped cabeled cardi and start/finish a throw. 18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes! 19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Circular (Addi's).

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Bamboo. 21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yes, but my swift is the cheap plastic one; I would like to acquire a wood one eventually. 22. How did you learn to knit?

I can remember working on the incredible increasing/decreasing scarf out of industrial grade acrylic when I was about 8 or 9 (I wonder what ever happened to that scarf...). However, my real first introduction to knitting was on my honeymoon when my mother-in-law taught me to knit (English). Then I put the needles down for about 17 years. 23. How old is your oldest UFO? About 2 years. 24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

Love The Brain from Pinky and the Brain. Stewie from Family Guy is pretty funny too. 25. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas. 26. Is there anything that you collect? Yarn, beads, knitting and beading magazines/books. 1930's Metlox pottery (200 series). 27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Interweave Knits. 28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? I really want to get a hold of the Butterfly Sweater pattern knit with Noro yarn and the Must-have cardi pattern. 29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I had the opportunity to try my hand at cables and reading from cable charts last Fall, but I would like to practice more and give Kepler or the Rogues a try. 30. Are you a sock knitter? No. But I have no problem wearing hand-knit socks. What are your foot measurements? 8.5 inches long by 3 inches wide. 31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) December 5th.

--------